Image Credit: wimbledontennis.co.uk
There are many historic places to explore in and around Wimbledon, grand houses include Eagle House and Warren House, there was once the Wimbledon Manor House but it burnt down in 1780, before being replaced by Wimbledon Park House, which was built in 1801.
The Dog and Fox public house in Wimbledon Village was one of the stops in the 18th C for the stagecoach run from Portsmouth to London, this was a regular route and the public house is still open. Wimbledon Common has also been regularly used for military activity over the years. Wimbledon Windmill is a building of note, built in 1817 by Charles March, as is Wimbledon Park worthy of a visit, which is a grade II historic park.
When meandering the streets of Wimbledon it is also worth stopping to admire the Fire Station Bell Tower, St Marys Church clock and the Old School House on Church Lane.
History of Wimbledon
It is thought a hillfort was made on Wimbledon Common during the Middle Ages, mentioned in the Domesday book in 1037 there is a raft of history when it comes to Wimbledon Village. Originally Wimbledon was in the Manor of Mortlake, with ownership of Wimbledon falling to many wealthy families over the years.
Wimbledon village was rural and wealthy, with many Merchants and Nobleman residing here. With the opening of the train station by London South Western Railway in 1838, there was a huge surge in population in Wimbledon during the latter part of the 19th C.
The train station was at the bottom of Wimbledon Hill and subsequently the town grew around this area, away from the village. Wimbledon is still distinctly split into Wimbledon Village and Wimbledon Town. In 1855 transport links expanded to Croydon and Tooting as Wimbledon joined the District Railway, since 1889 the now District line, these links further increased the population growth in the area.
Since 1877 Wimbledon has been faed for its annual tennis tournament, the first tournament was held at the All England Club in 1877 and is now a world-renowned sporting event.
Modern Day Wimbledon
Wimbledon became part of the borough of Merton in 1965; previous to this it had its own borough in the county of Surrey. Wimbledon is now home to the affluent professionals of the city, its leafy streets, greenery, diverse cultural population and friendly neighbourhood makes it an attractive place to live. There is an array of independent shops and boutiques both in the centre and the village. The great green spaces as well as leisure facilities means it is ideal to enjoy recreational activities.