Filter Properties In twickenham
History of Twickenham
Image courtesy of twickhistory.wordpress.com
Twickenham is steeped in history that dates back to the Early Neolithic Age as various discoveries and excavations have indicated. During 1066, William the Conqueror handed it over to Walter de Saint-Valery who dedicated the area to farming. Boat-building came to characterise a booming trade in the area and the river provided local people with fish.
During the seventeenth century in 1665, Twickenham was hit by the Bubonic plague for a couple of years. A century later, Twickenham produced gun powder as an outcome of the works of pharmacist Joshua Ward and Johann Glauber.
An enclosure development awarded in 1818 enabled 182 acres of the land west of the town centre to be developed into a collection of fine houses that tallies with today’s Staines and Hampton Roads, Workhouse Road, Middle Road, etc.. This development was enhanced when Twickenham station was completed in 1848.