Image Credit: sidcup-kent.co.uk
Substantial manor houses were built in Sidcup during the 18th C and 19th C including Foots Cray Place, Frognal House and Sidcup Place and Lamorbey House. Foots Cray Place was once home to Lord Bexley, the building sadly burnt down in 1949, but the foundations and beautiful gardens remain. Lamorbey House is situated in a public park; it is now a listed building.
Frognal House was originally the building for the Queen’s hospital and during World War I developed as a centre for plastic and facial surgery, after 1974 it ceased being a hospital and today it is a nursing home. Sidcup Manor House, which is located on the green, is now the registry office for marriages, births and deaths. Other historic buildings in Sidcup include St John The Evangelist Church, which was built in 1844 and has since been serving the community.
History of Sidcup
Sidcup was first recorded in 1254; its name has its origins in ‘Cetecopp’, which means ‘flat topped hill’. Sidcup began as a small hamlet situated on the road between London and Maidstone. Sidcup was home to grand estates and manor houses, it was an established community by the late 1600’s, gradually growing throughout the years.
In the 18th C and 19th C Sidcup was very popular with the gentry, with the estates evidencing this. The railway in 1866 dramatically affected the growth of the area, after this Sidcup saw the arrival of gas in 1882, drainage in 1883 and electricity in the early 1900’s. The population of the area continued to increase and today it is a busy residential area.
Modern Day Sidcup
It was post 1930’s that saw the most substantial development in Sidcup, with large areas of land bought to build on by housing companies. Sidcup sought to cater for middle class families wanting more of a rural life but still able to commute into London. Now known as a leafy suburb, Sidcup is a pleasant area with a good reputation for its education, green areas and leisure facilities, many choose to move here and settle down in the long term.