Historic Canary Wharf
Image Credit: photoarchivenews.com
There are only two remaining warehouses left on the North Quay that were built by the West India Dock Company, one of which is now the Museum of London Docklands. Canary Wharf’s name is derived from the fact that many of the goods that were imported to the Isle of Dogs were from the Canary Islands. There is a relatively short history in the area; in the 17th C it was merely marshlands before flourishing in the 19th C and becoming the business hub it is today.
History of Canary Wharf
Located on the Isle of Dogs on the West India Docks, between 1800 and up until 1939, it was notably one of the most thriving docks across the globe. A manufacturing hub where imports and exports flowed through, before it became a leading financial centre Canary Wharf was part of the Docks that employed workers from across the UK, the area was densely populated at the time.
Originally this area of the city was not considered wealthy; there were high levels of crime and poverty historically. Built in the late 18th C, the Docks were bombed extensively during World War II in the Blitz, with many of the warehouses damaged storage sheds were used to replace them. Good were largely imported from the West Indies, such as bananas and sugar.
Modern Day Canary Wharf
By the 1980’s Canary Wharf was derelict, the thriving port an element of the past, it stood barren before the developers moved in. Now Canary Wharf is home to some of the worlds biggest businesses, such as leading banks, law firms, media organisations and transport services. Canary Wharf is also home to complexes full of shops, cafes, restaurants and bars, with over 90,000 people employed here. There are 20 acres of plazas and parks, and it is home to numerous annual events. Canary Wharf became a residential area in the 1990’s and now many professionals seek abode here.